Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of....

Image courtesy Gregory Killam

The Project, as you know, routinely scours the interwebs for mentions of us. It's helpful, after all, to see who might be writing about us. But it's also useful to catch plagiarists in the act--to see who might be using our text and images without our permission.

But never, though, did the Project think we'd find a doppelganger.

That is, a clone of sorts. Witness this gallery on deviantART, an artwork and photography community. Here is the explanation from the author, a Mr. Gregory Killam:

This is the PCP, or Philadelphia Church Project, set I'm working on. It's poorly named, and you'll see why if you look around long in here.


When I was joking once with a friend, I commented that Philly's an odd town. It has a church and a bar on every corner. But since I was stuck home after a truck hit me I was able to think about this.


Three months after the accident and I began to be able to make small excursions outside again. I'm making a photodocumentary of the churches, synagogues, and other religious buildings in my vicinity. The sheer number of them says something about Philadelphians, but I'll let you as the viewer decide what that is. I hope it lets you have a little insight about our city and the fascinating people that live here.


Well, that's something I never thought I'd see. First plaigarists, and now flat-out copyists? What is this world coming to?

Granted, I'm not trying to claim that we served as an inspiration, since the tone, focus and origin story imply otherwise. His is a much simpler photographic journey--one picture, one building, little text or depth. Some interesting stuff so far (see above), but mostly this is an endeavor without minimum quality requirements, as the image of a store-front "church" clearly proves.

Regardless, there can only be ONE Philadelphia Church Project, and you're looking at it. Accept NO imitations.

To that end, we have requested that Mr. Killam change the name. Since in his words it's "poorly named" anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. Everybody is free to do whatever photographic essays they deem fit. But when you take the Project's name, even unintentionally, well, that gets our blood a-boilin'.

More to follow, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment