Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Churches That Won't Die: St. Boniface

One thing that Project has learned is that all parishes, like their buildings, are not created equal. Some of them engender such a passionate following that not even closing or consolidation can cool the fervor of their former parishioners.

Case in point: St. Boniface, which has given me more e-mails than I care to count. The latest is perhaps the most spectacular, however. Project reader Henry Buehner kindly forwarded roughly 30 old pictures of the church. Interior, exterior, holidays, you name it.

The Project values old photography more than anything, so these are a real treat. I'm still figuring out a way to make all of them available to you. In the meantime, however, here are some previews:

A real rarity, an image of Boniface with its spire. First one of its kind I've ever seen.


The last mass at the church. You can see where some of the windows were already removed. (Though not, as I previously believed, all of them.)


And the church with holiday decorations. Words fail me.


More to come, but enjoy these for what they're worth. And thanks again to Henry for providing these timeless photos.

4 comments:

  1. The windows were removed because of structural damage to their frames.
    Brownstone is not the best building material.
    M Mezalick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I'm very happy to discover your blog and to this your post about Saint Boniface. I was told of about a year ago about the changes by a local resident.It was sad to hear about it's closing.

    I'm a hobby genealogist who has her roots in this area .My family was rooted in this area & my grandparents and their entire families worshiped at Saint Boniface. I've been to the church myself in 1992, and it was beautiful inside.

    Thank you for sharing the photos and talking about Saint Boniface and all the other churches of note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely church - but hey - it wasn't in Society Hill or the suburbs so it was expendable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have more pictures that were promised? Thanks for keeping the memories alive. St. Bonnies was truly a great parish.

    ReplyDelete